Sciatica is a symptom. It is the name given to pain that is caused by the sciatic nerve. The pain can vary from a mild tingling, a dull ache, a burning sensation, or it can be an EXCRUCIATING, SHOOTING pain that makes standing or sitting almost impossible.
Sciatica occurs when there is pressure or damage to the sciatic nerve; or it might be the symptom of a pinched nerve. Sciatica usually affects one side of the body.
Sciatica usually affects one side of the body. Source: WebMD A Visual Guide to Sciatica https://www.webmd.com/back-pain/ss/slideshow-visual-guide-to-sciatica
The pain from sciatica radiates from the buttock down the back of the leg and can be felt in a number of different locations such as the knee, sole of the foot and the toe.
Can Sciatica Be Prevented?
- Practicing proper lifting techniques is important. Lift with your back straight, bringing yourself up with your hips and legs, and holding the object close to your chest.
- Avoid sitting for long periods or lying with pressure on the buttocks
- Avoid long driving hours in the car. Take frequent stretching breaks during road trips.
- Use good posture when sitting, standing, and sleeping.
- Exercise regularly to strengthen the muscles of your back and abdomen.
- A good exercise routine including stretching exercises to improve flexibility of tight muscles is important.
- Sleeping with a knee pillow between your knees can help keep your hips in alignment and relieve sciatica.
Can Massage and Bodywork Help?
- Massage relieves the muscle spasms caused by the pain from the pinched nerve.
- Massage helps reduce inflammation and swelling.
- Massage can assist to realign the pelvis thus helping to reduce and eliminate tension in the affected area.
- Massage may eventually help the client heal from the sciatica symptoms. Pressure and techniques will vary from person to person. Several sessions might be required to relieve the symptoms of sciatica. Sciatica pain usually goes away with time and rest.
I have treated many clients for sciatic symptoms with massage and bodywork therapy. Don’t live with the pain, give me a call so that I can help you! 616-456-5033